About Faculty of Computing and Technology
University of Kelaniya established its 7th Faculty - the Faculty of Computing and Technology (FCT) on 30th December 2015 and the Faculty commenced its operations on 18th January 2016. It is expected that this Faculty enables the university to position itself as a unique centre of excellence in computing unparalleled to existing institutes by capitalizing on the expertise they endow in multiple disciplines combined with the competencies in the domain of computing. Thus, the faculty is established as a service faculty catering to unique computing needs of other faculties while offering their own academic programmes in Computing and Technology. This new concept aims to improve the computer literacy and the usage of undergraduates of other faculties, which is identified as a critical determinant of employability of graduates. The objectives of the Faculty of Computing and Technology (FCT) also captures offering of degrees relating to computer related disciplines, conducting research and providing services of ICT related issues of the university and the country as a whole.
The Faculty will offer the Postgraduate Programmes in the areas of Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology and Engineering Technology. The Master of Information Technology in Education programme is currently being developed for the Ministry of Education to train ICT teachers in the national education system.
The faculty will conduct research in diverse fields of significant impact. The research enterprise at the Faculty of Computing and Technology will expand from fundamental Computer Science research to the development of new technologies with applications to the industry and society as a whole. The Faculty is planning to propose the following Research and Development Centres:
- Centre for Nanotechnology
- Centre for eLearning
- Language Engineering Research Centre
- Centre for Geo-informatics
- Centre for Computational Mathematics
- Centre for Data Science
- Centre for Cyber Security and Digital Forensics
Faculty of Computing and Technology has established the Industry Interaction Cell for Computing and Technology (IICfCT) with the following objectives:
- To encourage computing and technology experts in the university to contribute their knowledge/ experience for the development of national economy.
- To develop computer based systems necessary for the government sector and SMEs at an affordable cost.
- To provide training opportunities for the students with real world environments.
- Encourage external experts to collaborate with FCT for R & D activities.
To become a centre of excellence in creation and dissemination of knowledge in Computing and Technology for sustainable development.
The Faculty of Computing and Technology strives for excellence in computing and technology through innovation and dissemination of knowledge and capacity building for socio-economic development of the nation.
Structure of the Faculty
The Faculty of Computing and Technology currently comprises with three Departments.
- Department of Applied Computing
- Department of Computer Systems Engineering
- Department of Software Engineering